All aboard the Volkswagen Grand California!
Fully integrated inside the bodyshell, the Volkswagen Grand California, joins the long established and most popular California series, which is based on the Transporter van, together with the compact Caddy California, launched in recent years.
The platform, body shape and styling of the high roof Volkswagen Crafter panel van easily led to a mobile leisure version and what transpired is the Grand California. This flagship, premium model slots into the 6-metre (3.5 tonne) class and comes complete with bathroom. Accommodating four people on the move and while at rest, there is a large sleeping area in the rear section, as well an innovative star gazing, high bunk bed over the cab section.
Main Design Features:
- There is plenty of space for storing luggage under the rear bed. Access via the rear wing doors is an extra-handy feature.
- Comfort is just one of the great features of the compact rear bed. When tried out a pleasant experience was recorded.
- The wet room is sure to impress with its well thought-out functional design. For instance, the basin can be folded up while you are using the shower or toilet. All your bits and pieces are secured on the shelves to stop them from falling down. The folding mirror can be secured in place. The motion sensor switches on the indirect lighting and vanity lights automatically. There is also a quadruple storage solution for towels. And to protect the wet room from overflowing water, it comes with two drains including a dirt trap and odour trap.
- With larger skylight, aluminium ladder and two reading lights in the Grand California 600. It can hold up to 150kg of weight and ample space for two children. The slatted base can be pulled out at the touch of a button and the optional over-cab bed includes a larger skylight with mosquito nets and blinds.
- The Grand California 600 comes with an optional 104W system at the front of the roof, to supply the second battery and help it to remain self-sufficient depending on how strong the sun is.
- Five air vents evenly spread the warm air generated by the 6kW system throughout the interior. The system also stores 10 litres of warm water for the kitchen and wet room.
- Heating and water heating: This can be optionally upgraded to run on diesel and electric. This means that only one gas cylinder is needed which saves weight.
- Central operating unit with touch pad for monitoring and controlling the heater, water supply and batteries: A convenient way to adjust and control everything.
- The main light above the upper cabinets, a working light above the kitchen and dining area lighting create a homely feel.
Make/Model: Volkswagen Grand California 600
Engine : 2.0-litre Turbo EU6D
Power: 177PS @3,600 rpm
Torque: 410Nm @1,500-2,000 rpm
Transmission: 8-speed auto
Overall length: 6.0m
Overall height: 2.97m
Fuel Tank: 75 litres
AdBlue: 18 litres
GVW: 3.5 tonnes
Unladen weight: 3,079 kg
Payload: 421 kg
Price (from): €93,000 (including €11,120 VRT & €15,292 VAT)
Full report to feature in the next Fleet Publications edition in due course