CALL FOR CARBON MONOXIDE WARNING ON DISPOSABLE BBQS
Following the tragic deaths in the UK of Hannah Thomas-Jones (14yrs) and Isabelle Harris (6yrs) from separate carbon monoxide poisoning incidents both caused by the presence of a disposable BBQs in their tents.
Higgins is adamant that campers must be warned of the dangers of disposable BBQs. “As we enter camping / festival season, campers need to be aware of the very real danger of CO poisoning from their disposable BBQ.”
“Unfortunately BBQs continue to produce CO long after the flames have gone out, this fact is little known leading many consumers to believe it is safe to bring them indoors.”
“I feel strongly that manufacturers & retailers producing and selling camping & barbecue equipment, registered campsites and caravan sites should all promote the dangers of carbon monoxide and the use of CO alarms.”
“I have contacted the National Standards Authority of Ireland to recommend that the revision of part one of the EN1860 standard on solid fuels should include a requirement for a prominent warning about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning on disposable BBQs.”
“The current warning, ‘Do not use indoors’ is not sufficient as it fails to mention the connection between using these products indoors (or in poorly ventilated areas) and the risk of CO poisoning, this risk is possibly overlooked by the consumer who is likely to think only of fire risks.”