The first UK & Ireland campervan conversion based on the new Ford Tourneo Custom was unveiled by Wellhouse Leisure at the Motorhome and Caravan Show at the NEC, Birmingham (15-20 October). #neccaravanThis represents an important new model for the campervan market and has been developed with full co-operation from Ford UK.The new model offers great value, is car-like to drive, and compact enough to be used as an everyday vehicle. It has an elevating roof, five seats, and a luxury specificaton including kitchen, heater, LED lighting and even a portable toilet.It also benefits from the high specification of the Ford Tourneo Custom (Trend trimline) with many items that are optional on most competitors, such as Bluetooth, heated windscreen, leather-covered steering wheel with remote controls for audio and Bluetooth, and front and rear parking sensors.At £39,500, it is extremely competitively priced against key rivals, such as the Volkswagen California.David Elliott, managing director of Wellhouse Leisure also announced the name of this model – the Wellhouse Ford Terrier – because of its Yorkshire roots, and as the terrier is the mascot of local team, Huddersfield FC.Wellhouse Leisure has a Ford Tourneo Custom available for test drives at the Motorhome and Caravan show.
FIRST CHANCE TO SEE NEW WELLHOUSE FORD TERRIER CAMPERVAN AT NEC SHOW
· World debut on 15 October 2013 at The Motorhome and Caravan Show, NEC
· First UK campervan conversion based on new Ford Tourneo Custom
· Ford Tourneo Custom chosen for conversion as more luxurious than equivalent Transit
· Ford Tourneo Custom rated for its quality, car-like ‘drivability’ and ergonomic dashboard
· Developed with full co-operation from Ford UK
· Full European Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and three year warranty
· 2.2-litre turbo diesel engine: 125 PS and 43.5 mpg (combined), six speed manual gearbox
· Versatile to use every day: same length as a family estate (4972 mm), five seats with large boot, offering two double beds, plus elevating roof, heater, cooker, sink and fridge
· High specification beats most rivals: Bluetooth, air conditioning, front and rear parking sensors, heated windscreen, privacy glass, solar panel, cruise control, a leather steering wheel with remote controls, automatic headlights, metallic paint – and a portable toilet!
· Great value: only £39,500 on the road
· Available from six agents across UK; first deliveries late November/early December
The buoyant campervan market now has a significant new competitor following the official debut of the first UK camper conversion based on the new Ford Tourneo Custom from award-winning manufacturer, Wellhouse Leisure (hall 12, stand no 155).
Offering more standard specification than most rivals, a new base vehicle acclaimed for its quality, durability and car-like drivability, and prices starting from just £39,500 (on the road), the new Wellhouse Ford campervan is extremely competitive and a ‘must-see’ newcomer for show visitors.
The new Ford is an ideal base for a campervan conversion as it was developed to be practical, durable and economical to run, yet is the same compact size as a family estate car. At 4.97m long, with a turning circle of 10.9 metres, it is easy to use everyday, yet offers more lifestyle options with masses of space for family, pets or gear, and can quickly convert to a home from home.
Wellhouse Leisure worked closely with Ford UK to develop this new campervan, and is delighted to be launching the first UK conversion. This matches Wellhouse’s previous experience of working closely with the automotive industry for its award-winning Hyundai i800 camper conversion.
The Tourneo Custom is the people carrier version of the Transit, and was chosen because it offers a more luxurious interior. The Tourneo’ ‘Trend’ trim level has a higher standard specification, with many items that are usually options or only available on more expensive rivals. This includes:
· front and rear parking sensors
· air conditioning (cab)
· heated driver’s seat
· Bluetooth and MP3 connectivity, including FordSYNC with emergency assistance
· automatic headlights
· front fog lights
· leather-covered steering wheel with remote controls for audio and cruise control
· heated windscreen and rain sensing wipers
· heated power-folding door mirrors
· side and head curtain airbags
Naturally, the interior of the campervan is equally competitive and highly equipped, and includes:
· rear privacy glass
· two sliding side doors and side steps
· five seats (all with three-point seat belts), inc driver and passenger front swivel seats
· sliding rear seat ( ‘Variotech 3000 – the last word in safety’) makes double bed (1.9 m x 1.3 m)
· LED lighting
· 95W solar panel
· 2kw blown air heating (Webasto)
· leisure battery (100 A/h)
· 12A intelligent battery charger, C-Tek intelligent battery to battery charging system, and split charging system from engine
· 240v and 12v power sockets, plus 25m cable for mains hook-up
· kitchen with sink, 2 ring hob and 42 litre compressor fridge (Vitrifrigo)
· portable toilet (Dometic 972)
· gas locker, plus 40 litre fresh and waste onboard water tanks; Whale pressure water pump
· elevating roof (Reimo – available with optional double bed 2.0 m x 1.2 m)
There is a choice of seven exterior colours and the option of 18 or 20 inch alloy wheels, leather upholstery, colour-coded mouldings for roof, side and bumpers, a roll-out awning (Fiamma).
For economical touring, the 2.2-litre Duratorq TDCI engine offers Ford’s latest ECOnetic technology, with auto start/stop to improve fuel consumption and reduce emissions. The Wellhouse model has 125 PS with a six-speed manual gearbox, which delivers 43.5 mpg (combined) with emissions from172 g/km. There are 100 PS and 155PS versions also available.
David Elliott, managing director of Wellhouse Leisure, said: ‘As soon as we saw the new Ford, I knew it would be an ideal base vehicle for a campervan conversion, and I’m really delighted with the result.’
‘I really believe this is one of the most exciting new campervans on the market. It looks fantastic, is great to drive, has great build quality, and comes with all the latest Ford technology to make convenient to live with, economical to run and extremely good value,’ he continued.